Sunbeams on Snow

My own personal soapbox... make of it what you will. As far as the title... a memorable moment in life was when I lived overseas, and announced that I wanted to have it snowing outside and still be sunny. My friends said I was crazy. But you know what? The next day: sunbeams on snow. Never underestimate the power of positive thinking.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

"The Rainy Day" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

The day is cold, and dark, and dreary;
It rains, and the wind is never weary;
The vine still clings to the moldering wall,
But at every gust the dead leaves fall,
And the day is dark and dreary.

My life is cold, and dark, and dreary;
It rains, and the wind is never weary;
My thoughts still cling to the moldering Past,
But the hopes of youth fall thick in the blast
And the days are dark and dreary.

Be still, sad heart! and cease repining;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all,
Into each life some rain must fall,
Some days must be dark and dreary.



*** The current crisis involving Hurricane Katrina made me think of this poem, particularly the last section. The bad days must have their place in our lives, in order for us to fully appreciate the good ones. May those good days come soon..

2 Comments:

Blogger Tess said...

I never knew where "Into each life some rain must fall" came from. Thanks for sharing the poem.

Tess

P.S. Beignets. I will not make that mistake again.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

I'm with Tess. I didn't know that that line came from that poem either. It's a beautiful poem. Very powerful. Thank you for sharing.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home