Sunbeams on Snow

My own personal soapbox... make of it what you will. As far as the title... a memorable moment in life was when I lived overseas, and announced that I wanted to have it snowing outside and still be sunny. My friends said I was crazy. But you know what? The next day: sunbeams on snow. Never underestimate the power of positive thinking.

Friday, July 29, 2005

The Staple Theory of Human Behavior

As I drive down the road, trying to understand the complex relationship I have with the Financial Aid office at school, I discover that I have inadvertently formed a new theory. I call this theory "The Staple Theory of Human Behavior" (working title, please forgive). My sister thinks I'm on crack, but maybe some of you nameless readers will understand. Here it is...

Human beings are very much like staples. We exist in large groups, until various events separate us, usually under duress. Once on our own, we have a responsibility, a job to do, if you will. However, there is a limit to what we can do on our own. There is a breaking point, which when reached, can bend us out of shape, rendering us useless. There is hope, though. Because the more staples that are used together, the more they can accomplish. Together, a group of staples can hold up something one staple would never dream of supporting on its own (assuming staples dream, of course). They can overlap sections to hold together a ream of paper, as opposed to the measly stack a single staple can hold. Ultimately, the lesson is that when staples are used efficiently and cohesively, they are more powerful and productive than a single staple, or even a group of staples working separately.

We should remember the staple. It has potential to be a powerful symbol within the workplace, reminding us of our humanity, our fragility, and our potential.

Or maybe this is all just the rantings of a woman who has yet to reach her minimum caffeine level for the day....

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

LMAO Hamster! That was great! I LOVE theories, as you well know! Staples...who would've thunk it?

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home