Sunbeams on Snow

My own personal soapbox... make of it what you will. As far as the title... a memorable moment in life was when I lived overseas, and announced that I wanted to have it snowing outside and still be sunny. My friends said I was crazy. But you know what? The next day: sunbeams on snow. Never underestimate the power of positive thinking.

Saturday, October 01, 2005

To read, or not to read?

If you're reading my blog, you've more than likely seen the site Post Secret at least once. If not, I'll explain it briefly. The idea is that you create a postcard with a secret on it, and mail it in. The Post Secrets are then displayed online in a variety of places.

I admit that I've read them more than once. Sometimes they're fascinating, sometimes they're hilarious - but more often than not, they're scary and frightening and utterly depressing. And that leads me to my current mental predicament.

When I read Post Secrets, I like to think that I am doing the posters a favor. For those who did something "wrong", it is a way for them to forgive themselves, I think. By broadcasting it to the world, maybe the person that they wronged will read it and know that they are sorry. There have been one or two posts that applied to me (as in, the person who was wronged). Sometimes I think that maybe they are intended for me to read them, and it helps alleviate my anger towards past situations.

And yet, so very very many of them are horrid terrible things. Things witnessed, things done, things thought. They aren't simple and they aren't pretty and they aren't easily "solved". And whenever I read them, I begin to lose faith in the world and in humanity.

You see, when it comes down to it, I believe in good. I believe that good and light will triumph over evil and darkness. I believe that hope should reign supreme, even in the most difficult of times. I believe in love and faith and courage. I believe in forgiveness and gratitude. I believe that good things come to all of us, but we have to have our eyes open and our hands unclenched in order to see them and grasp them long enough to appreciate them.

Post Secrets, while intriguing, often calls to light situations that go against everything I believe in. And that is painful for me to deal with.

So maybe, instead of a Post Secrets idea where people tend to write in about negative and hurtful secrets, there needs to be a sight dedicated to the positive, the joyous, the uplifting. I have no idea what it should/would/could be called, but maybe it will be done, or is already being done and I just haven't been introduced to it. In the meantime, pay it forward... the good stuff, that is. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Tess said...

Well, you can always check out the Good News Blog:

http://www.goodnewsblog.com/

Tess

P.S. When were you going to post about first kisses? We're waiting!

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home