Sunbeams on Snow

My own personal soapbox... make of it what you will. As far as the title... a memorable moment in life was when I lived overseas, and announced that I wanted to have it snowing outside and still be sunny. My friends said I was crazy. But you know what? The next day: sunbeams on snow. Never underestimate the power of positive thinking.

Monday, July 18, 2005

Rejoice... and again I say, rejoice!

Recently, my husband saved a man's life. Yep, really and truly. And naturally, the man and his family are supremely grateful by his actions. It changed their present and their future, all for the good. The following weekend, my mother went to church, intending to share the good news. Except that the people on one side of her had just lost a family member to liver cancer. And the people on the other side of her had recently lost a family member in a tragic car accident. So she didn't want to "brag" too much, because she worried about it being hard to hear that one person's life was saved, when someone close to you wasn't.

On one hand, I understand her hesitation. However, I worry that maybe the failure to share the good, the hesitancy to rejoice in that which is worth rejoicing, may be part of why so many people seem to be depressed and in despair. What is there to be happy about, when all you hear about are the bad things? The newspapers, the tv, the internet. Open on up, or turn one on, and the first thing you see are reports of death, murder, adultery, or war. Where are the reports of people celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary? On page 20, section F. Where are the reports about lives being saved? Who knows. I can't even find them.

My point is this: share the good. Laugh at the funny. And laugh LOUDLY so the world can hear you. Call someone up and tell them the best thing that's happened to you lately. Make up a new game with your kids called "Good, Better, Best", coming up with something good that happened that day, something even better, and the very best thing about the day. Rejoice in the world, in your family, in your friends. And know that even if today was lousy, the sun will rise again tomorrow and give you a whole new opportunity to smile.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY! I'm your first comment! It is a fabulous blog! Great job! It is good to remember that you're never handed anything you can't handle. It may seem like it sometimes, but things have a way of working themself out. Bad days are just one out of 365 good ones!

11:45 PM  
Blogger aangelgoddess said...

AMEN!!

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home